Hail to thee, our Alma Mater
Thou art strong and true,
Honor to thy name so hallowed
Pledge we now to you.
Shall thy colors fly
Orange and Black to all are sacred
Radiant in the sky.
Every son and every daughter
Bears thy hallowed name,
Far above all others always
Thou shall bring us fame.
We are faithful
Proud in victory's song,
May thy banner always lead us
On and ever on.
When we walked between the stately columns which grace the entrance of our building, and hurried through its halls, we little thought of the people, many of whom have achieved prominence in our city and our nation, who have gone this way before us.
During the early years of the 1920's the need was felt for a high school to serve the rapidly growing Country Club District. Consequently in early 1925, the ground was broken on a portion of the old Armour farm, and Southwest began to take shape. In the fall of the same year, students entered the sweltering, newly-built and, as yet, far from hallowed halls of Southwest High School.
The building consisted of only that portion of the present building that faces Wornall Road, exclusive of the north wing, and possessed few of the advantages known by most of us. When assemblies were held, the students sat on the floor of the make-shift gymnasium on the site of the present auditorium. There was no cafeteria and tables were set up on the fourth floor hall. Throughout the fall, classes were conducted to the buzzing of saws and the pounding of hammers.
For more information, Ed Matheny's book, "The Rise
and Fall of Excellence" on the history of Southwest High School
is a must read for all Southwest Alumni.
Click here to learn more.
From the 25th Anniversary Edition, 1950 Sachem Yearbook